Creating a template for your new Snap-In Boat Mat is not difficult; however, accuracy is critical to achieving the exact fit you desire.
Before you start you will need:
- Template material – either brown craft paper or thick plastic will work
1. First, if you have an existing mat that you are replacing, evaluate it:
- Does it fit exactly as you want?
- Does it cover all of the areas you want covered?
- Is its condition acceptable to use as a pattern (it has not shrunk and still fits exactly as you want your new mat)?
2. Create a Template
- If you have an existing mat that you have determined will make a good pattern:
– Lay the existing pieces face up on top of template material
– Trace around each piece with a marker
- If you do not have an existing mat or you want to add a piece(s):
– Lay out template material on the floor of the boat
– Trace around stationary seats, table holes and any other area you want the carpet to cover
– Leave ½” around edges for drainage
3. Mark the template
- On each piece, mark an arrow showing forward direction to bow.
- Write “top” on the side facing up
- Number each piece 1 of X, 2 of X, etc.
- Label each piece with your contact information (name and phone number)
4. Cut out the template
- Carefully cut the template along all of the edges you have drawn so that it is in individual pieces.
5. Install template in your boat
- This is to check that your template fits exactly as you want your snap in AquaMat® to fit. The template should lie flat with no bubbles or wrinkles.
Now you are ready to have a Custom Snap-In AquaMat® produced. Check out our website for carpet color and style options as well as mailing information. You can also take your template to your local trim shop. Click here for a referral to a shop near you.